I kinda feel like a pig. It's all relative, right? In my past life (that is, pre-band), I would feel like a pig if, say, I ate 4 pieces of Pagliacci pizza, a breadstick, some salad and lots of diet pepsi. Pig. I'd feel that way when I went out and I had an appetizer, salad, entree, a few bites of dessert, a couple martinis and some wine. So, back to the relativity....
My dad is in town and last night we went to Buca di Beppo, and all-American Italian feeding trough. Everything there is family-style, so there is no individual "portion" really. I ordered what I knew I could eat...1 meatball with two sides of sauce, and an order of mashed potatoes (to be shared). In the end, I felt like a pig! Here's what I ate:
- 4 sips of wine (prior to food - no drinking while eating, Jennifer!)
- 3 oz. of the meatball
- 1/2 c. red sauce (mixed with the squished up meatball :)
- 1/8 c. alfredo sauce (also mixed with the meatball)
- 1/3 c. mashed potatoes
Ok, so basically I had a about a cup of really saucey meatsauce and 1/3 c. of potatoes. Now, I KNOW I AM NOT A PIG. Please don't send a zillion comments about negative self-talk, etc. - it's not a judgmental statement actually. It's more an observation of a few things:
- How little food now makes me feel FULL. Yep, I surpassed satisfied last night - no pain, no suffering, not stuffed - but I definitely was full.
- How odd a feeling it was to feel filled up - it's been about a month probably since I've felt that.
- That association I have with simply feeling full in that I feel pretty bad about it - even when, in this case, what I ate was completely reasonable! (Yes, this is a spot that needs some work, I know)...
I'm not exactly sure the point of this post; however, I think it was an experience that taught me to pay extremely good attention when eating out (a few more bites and the rest of my evening may not have been very pleasant), and know that once in a while, feeling full (not stuffed!) is really ok and I don't have to feel badly about it. The world didn't end, I doubt I gained 300 pounds or anything and oh, by the way, stayed within my calorie goal: total for the day - 1060.