Friday, September 16, 2005

Liquid Failings...

I won't hold back - Thursday SUCKED. I did a couple things wrong and never recovered...

1) I let my blood sugar crash. DUMB GIRL! I had a soy mocha around 8:30, then didn't eat anything again until almost 1:00 - by then I was light-headed and woozie...had gatorade, a protein shake and a sugar free pudding. But, no luck - I still felt off all day. My new strategy is to eat every 2 hours or so, even if it's just 50-100 calories, and not let that happen again. No fun. After all that food, my blood sugar was about 110...so it had to have been wicked low. Ug!

2) I didn't take a nap! Ok, exhaustion does not help. I basically tried to push myself way too hard...I was trying to be "all better" which my body informs me I'm not. So, rest is in order for the next few days in order to be ready for work on Monday.

In other news, I caved on the liquid diet. I called my nutritionist after #1 above happened and said that I can't do it! She assured me I can, and allowed me to add pureed foods - nothing that has to be chewed. I was like, "AMEN!" - though it's largely mental, knowing that I can add some items of substance really helps me emotionally - things like hummus, thinned out mashed potatoes...though I did have my favorite vegan corn chowder for dinner - like a whole cup of it - and it was awesome! It felt so good to feel like I was actually eating...

Eating, however, continues to be interesting and difficult. Each time my belly is like, "um, yeah, what the **** are you doing here? why you gotta go and bug me like this?" followed up with a variety of digestive activities and usually some hearty trapped-gas pains in my chest and back. Joy! Eating is now a 5-second pleasure - the part when I get to actually eat - the rest is all a game of negotiating the impact. That said, this is the healing phase - it won't always be like this! But I won't lie and say that makes it any better in the moment...

Onward! I am starting to figure out my 'new body' and I'm sure as I do, things will get better and better. I have a 1 p.m. post-op doc appt. today, we'll see what he says...Michelle tells me though I feel like crap, I look fabulous. There's something :)

No comments: