Tuesday, November 29, 2005

So Little

In some ways, old habits die hard. Here's my story: Last weekend, I met up with some friends for a movie. I was starving - it was noon and I hadn't eaten, but had worked out, run errands, gotten a massage...So I opted for movie-theatre nachos (something that wouldn't get stuck) - that is, a pile of chips with probably a good 3/4 c. of nacho cheese "dipping sauce" (or glue, whatever you want to call it).

I sat down and my friend asked if she could have some - here's where the "old thinking" came in. My internal response was, "NFW, lady - I'm starving. These are mine!!" Outwardly, I said, "Sure, have a couple - boy I am hungry..." (i.e., don't eat too many!). What's funny is, in the end, I could barely eat 1/2 of them. My eyes are still bigger than my stomach, and there are these occasions when I find myself still being possessive of food that I can't even fit in!!

Funny, sad, weird, and well, something that is changing as I go through this and my awareness shifts. I think a lot of us WLS folk truly have feared not getting enough food a zillion times in life - who knows why, as we live in a country where food is abundant - but that fear is changing for me now as I know I will get enough, esp. since it really doesn't take much. This was a hiccup, but it made me think and that is always a good thing.

2 comments:

Serena said...

When I think about how I feel about sharing food, it makes me feel like a real part of the animal kingdom, like I am a feral dog with no domestication. Not that my domesticated dogs like to share either.

Serena (finally I started a lap-band blog)

The Catapillar said...

Wonder why we feel this way becaue I know being a preop I HATE sharing. I'll do it but I sure do hate it. You got me thinking too. I will be sure and watch for it later.