Saturday, November 26, 2005

My shoes are too big & my pants are too long

It's funny. I've noticed that the 'new' jeans I have (the only pair that fit) are getting to be too big. This is excellent news...but as pants get too big, they become too long. Think about it - if you put a basketball up your shirt, the shirt has to 'rise' up a bit. So, you shrink your butt or your hips, and your pants relax a bit...downward. In Seattle, during the rainy season, this sucks - seems my pants drag in puddles now and are always wet. Classy. No complaints really, mind you, more just an observation. I'm working pretty hard at this point to avoid clothes shopping for obvious reasons, but I may start trying to get creative and hit some thrift/consignment shops just to shake it up (and to have dry ankles).

Secondly, and more surprising, my shoes are getting too big. So, figuring that shoes will last longer for me than clothes, I bought a pair of short little black boots last night. My one pair of black shoes (yes, just one. i'm not a shoe whore...) are, as my sassy sister says, "horrible, dumpy lesbian shoes." And, the h.d.l. shoes used to be so tight they hurt; now my feet flop around in them. To ebay they go! (Actually, I'm guessing this will delight more than one person in my life...though they aren't that bad!) The boots are cool though - and I didn't feel too guilty getting them since I'll be able to wear them likely for a long time. (Bonus: Maybe the heel will help keep my pant legs out of puddles?)

Now, I must stop this money-spending business. I used to be the budget girl, never straying...now, well, not so much. On the bright side: I have cute shoes! There is always a bright side. I swear I believe that, despite current events in my life.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I too have been experiencing the lengthening jeans phenomenon; although, at 5'5 1/2", I've found most regular length jeans too long and petite length too short. Grrrr.

Congrats on the new boots! Ya gotta keep those jeans dry! (Yes, I'm a partial shoe whore.)

Jenn

Sandi Hooper said...

As a fellow dweller in rainy country I can really relate to the wet pants hem dilemma. Fortunately the town I live in is so small, that no one cares if you're "tony", so if I wanted to, I could wear capri pants and wellies to the store, or court or anywhere!

hey, I looked at your photo blog yesterday--spent a very happy hour there. You're work is really intriquing.

Anonymous said...

I am 5'11" so I can't wait for my pants to seem longer. I also can no longer wear most of the shoes I have and am looking forward to them fitting again as well.

Way to go on your continuing weight loss.

Jenn said...

Thanks for all your comments! :) It's nice to know you all relate.
~jenn