Saturday, November 19, 2005

Shape-Shifter

Those trekkies out there who watched DS9 know about the shape-shifters...I don't suppose I'd go that far in describing myself (last I checked I couldn't turn into the water in a bucket), but this morning, after a hearty 6o minutes on the elliptical, and the end of the monthly bloat-ville, I looked in the (fullish-length) mirror after my shower and was shocked at what I saw.

My shape is shifting.

I just stood there for a while and for the first time in this process, I just didn't seem like a fat person anymore - I felt more like an average person with a few extra layers of fat at the moment. It's hard for those of you who aren't fat to get this, but I'm guessing those WLS folks who are reading (and I do love that you read me) get this to the Nth degree. It's that moment when you just really start to recognize your changing body as actually belonging to you - being a part of who you are and not this external thing that you distance yourself from rather than embrace.

Don't get me wrong - I have no illusions that I still have ~3/4 of my weight to lose, I'm no skinny-minny and am still shopping at the ole' LB. I get that. But it's still a moment to recognize when you look in the mirror and you see something other than a big fatso...you know?

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I honestly wish I could say I do know exactly what you're saying. I don't know why, but I'm not there yet. I still look in the mirror and see the same me ... fat me. I know I've changed, yes, and I have moments where I come to the realization that I'm no where near as big as I used to be. But, I'm still struggling with the fat. Maybe someday soon I won't?

Jenn

Jenn said...

Jenn,
Yeah, I know that place too...and I expect to visit it now and again :) You should put a big'ole 'before' shot of yourself on the fridge next to a recent shot. I have the biggest, fattest, most horrible pic of myself i could find squarely on my fridge. When it's that black & white, right in front of you, it does start to sink in...give it a whirl. You'll get there though - it is a hard one, no doubt.
Jenn

RisibleGirl said...

Yup. I totally get what you're saying. I've been fascinated by the changes in my body and honestly don't hate standing naked in front of a mirror (scientifically speaking!)

Still not willing to stand completely naked in front of hubby though! ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

I sooooooooo understand the whole image in the mirror. I look at my profile and can't believe that my boobs are closer to sticking out further than my belly! :)

I totally enjoy all of your posts and think you are doing a great job!

Jill