Saturday, December 03, 2005

Reflections

The last few times I've caught my reflection in a window or mirror I've been a little shocked. I guess I don't spend quality time in front of my mirror at home (however, do not confuse this with a lack of vanity :). Seriously though, I forget what I look like now. Totally, completely forget. It's strange, but don't suppose it's abnormal. And actually, it's good - because I'm pleasantly surprised each and every time.

Lately I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'll be needin' some plastics when I'm done. Before, I figured, 'no way...I'm too crunchy for plastic surgery - besides, I'm married and happy and who cares - this is about being healthy!' and truly, I'm not that vain - but this isn't really about vanity. It's about having a giant hunk of skin hanging off the front of my body. Not pretty to think about? Well, imagine having it right there. The idea of a hip-to-hip incision, a homemade belly button and cut'n'pasted nipples terrifies me, but the end result doesn't scare me one bit (though last I checked, the frankenstein look wasn't exactly 'in'). What will I have done? Judging by how things are looking so far, a tummy tuck & boob job should do the trick, perhaps a slight inner thigh lift (which they often throw in for "free" with the other two). I even found a local surgeon to start researching - apparently she is known for making boobs look especially 'pretty.' I'm all for that.

Before, I was married, planning to have kids...it just didn't make sense to do plastics before that. Now, I've realized that with my marriage went the possibility of bearing children. I'm 34, and there's *no way* I'd be ready to have a kid with anyone else within the next 3-4 years, and that takes me past my cut-off age (and single parenting is not for me).

So, it dawned on me that the right time to do plastics is when you're about 10-20 pounds from goal - which is looking like will be within the next year. It took me a good 9 months of thoughtful, hearty research to really be ready for my lapband - with it's 4 punch holes and two tiny incisions. This one feels so freaky and scary and big, I thought it best to get the ball rolling. So there it is.

p.s. WLS folk: Any thoughts? Resources? What's your plan?

4 comments:

Serena said...

I am already planning on surgery. I am 38 and after a 1 time weight loss of 125 pounds I had my boobs done already though now once I lose they will have to be done again.
I read that when you are losing a lot of weight and are going to have a lower bosy lift or tummy tuck that you should lose to slightly below your goal weight and then have the surgery and then gain back to your goal weight which will fill in the skin much more nicely. I read this in the book Total Body Lift by Dennis J Hurwitz, MD.,F.A.C.S. who is an expert in the field.
Also if you don't already watch it, if you have access to it, I recommend watching Plastic Surgery, Before and After on the Discovery Health Channel.
take care,
Serena

Sandi Hooper said...

BEFORE wls I knew that someday I'd have to do my boobs. They've been hanging there like two oranges in tube socks for years--all the gaining and losing. But the scars are scary to me too. Like you say, Frankenstein and all... how appealing is it to make love to someone who looks like a jigsaw puzzle from hell? But as my nipples go further and further south I realize that I have to do this for me. I've also heard the lbl procedure has a very painful recovery period, and that scares me. I appreciated Serena passing on the advice about losing and gaining. For me, the decisions are more than a year away, but yeah I'm figuring on going that route.

Anonymous said...

I am going to be all over the plastics! The first thing I am going to have done is my arms. (And maybe throw in a boob job while I am at it!) I haven't worn a sleeveless anything since highschool and cannot wait to get back into them and be comfortable. After I am done having kids you better believe my tummy is gonna be tucked and anything else that needs to be lifted or cut away will be.

If I am doing this, I am doing it the right way and all the way. :) It will be my reward.

RisibleGirl said...

Hey, let me know about the boob surgeon (I live not too far from you). I plan to do that once I'm finished losing weight because I can already see mine are going away.

Too funny, really, since I once had a breast reduction! The laugh's on me! Hubby said he'd pay for them (of course... he's a boob man!)