Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Nothing says "Work Out Hard" Like a Rock Star

Those of you who know me know I love Death Cab for Cutie (we'll call'em DCFC here for short). So, the lead singer, Ben Gibbard works out at my gym (so does Dave Matthews, and members of Sound Garden & Pearl Jam...but I digress). None of them matter. Ben matters though, because I love DCFC. The man writes the most poignant, intense, gut-wrenching lyrics, and sings them well to boot. (If you don't know them, click on the DCFC link above, you'll get a sampling.)

So, today I enter the gym and there is Ben in all his sweaty glory on an exercise bike! I avert my eyes, of course, so as not to be a star-struck freak, but am tickled nonetheless. I am not the type to bother someone when they're trying to exercise - that is an unglamourous time to be bothered, I don't care who you are. A friend (also a fan) shows up and we giggle together "there's Ben!" - no worries, Ben is happily listening to his iShuffle, so he cannot hear us - and is facing a different direction, so he cannot see us.

I hop on my elliptical and work out as if I am a rock star myself! I mean really, who wants to look like a workout wimp in front of one of their favorite singers on earth?? (Because of course Ben is carefully monitoring the intensity of my workout, esp. since he can't see or hear me...). If only Ben was there everyday - I think I'd be at my goal weight in no time if I worked out at that level all of the time! :) His mere presence kicked my heart rate up 10 notches or so.

Note: He did have good, proper gym etiquette as he cleaned up his machine before heading out. Now that is a good rockstar!

p.s. For those of you who think he's chunked up a bit, I have to disagree - seeing him in workout garb, he's actually rather fit; I think it's his round face that does him a disservice in this arena.

4 comments:

Serena said...

I think I would die of embarrassment if I had to workout anywhere in the vicinity of my favorite musician. Still in a year or so I wouldn't mind working out next to Dave Matthews.

Lucky you!

Serena

Marla said...

OMG, I love Death Cab. They are just amazing. I think working out in front of my favorite musician would be so motivating.

Georgie Porgie said...

I love Death Cab. They are right up there with Aqualung.

Hey, you look great and your weight loss is amazing! Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Tell Stone Gossard I love him and waited for him to proclaim his love to me on my wedding day until I couldn't wait any longer....I really need to hang out with you!

Back from Omaha and you are gonna crap when I tell you how much I was down...12 freakin pounds!!! I told Dr. Hot Hot Hot I didn't deserve it!