Thursday, January 26, 2006

Too much fill?

So this fill has officially 'kicked in' - I don't think I've eaten a meal since this weekend that actually was easy to eat. It's taking me about an hour to eat 1/2 c. of hot cereal...not that it stays hot, of course...I eat and I just feel, well, backed up - and it doesn't take much to illicit a hearty PB - only 2 serious ones this week, but many sliming incidents too. It's a little exhausting, but without a doubt I think this may be true restriction on the highest order.

So, you're thinking - 'fabu Jenn! you shall have the pounds melt off!' - but not so young grasshopper. What is true is this: I have only been able to eat maybe 4 or 5 bites of solid food before I feel stuck and/or start getting slimey. So I stop. And then I get hungry in an hour or two, since I've really not eaten, and then eat something soft & easy. "Soft Food Syndrome" as they call it in lap-band land, is when you can't get solids down and switch to soft foods and liquids - which are significantly more calorie dense than solid food. When this happens, people actually gain weight, despite having more restriction. Not good. Big fear. Uncool. Double non-bonus: I'm focusing on eating my protein first so I don't go bald, and that means minimal veggies or grains...which equals minimal, uh, fiber. And we'll leave it at that.

I'm going to give it a little more time and see what unfolds - I'm at 2cc's in my 4cc band. In the meantime, I'm taking a good hour to eat insanely small portions of food just to be safe, which is plum exhausting - way more to think about than I'd like - not to mention sometimes one doesn't really have a whole hour to eat 1/2 c. of chicken salad. Don't get me wrong - it's not utter misery or anything - and maybe I just have to get used to it, another adjustment (figuratively & literally). I'll keep you posted...of course, if any bandsters out there have thoughts, please advise.

p.s. On an upside, I started working out with a trainer this week! Ouch, but yay!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on getting a personal trainer! i am still waiting for my surgeon to "ok" me.

Jenn said...

Best of luck with the latest fill, Jenn! I truly think you lap-banders are braver than me in that I don't think I could take essentially starting the whole process over each time I got a fill!

Anonymous said...

I'm about to post in my WLS blog about this, but I was wondering your thoughts...

I'm VERY tight now but have been able to ward off the PBs, for the most part. I can only get in maximum three bites of protein and then I'm SO done.

Also, if I do PB? It's violent to the extent that I can't eat anything solid for at least two days.

Like now. Yech.

My deal is social situations? We have a dinner party to go to tonight and there will just be four of us eating at their house. I'm PARANOID that they'll serve something that won't go down. This is assuming that I'll be able to eat in the first place.

When I go to lunch, I hate it when the server says, "is that all you're going to eat?". It's embarassing.

How are YOU with social situations?

Anonymous said...

Get that protein in sister so you don't join my Hair Club for Women! Although the Nioxin is flippin' FAB!

I was going to ask for another cc to take me to 2 at my next appointment but maybe I will just go for a half...

Congrats on the trainer. I have been slacking there, but if my gym had any member of Pearl Jam there I would be there 24/7! Jenn, I am pathetic...our dog's name is P.J. and Tanner's middle name is Jeremy...

Anonymous said...

HeHe those fills are something I periodically wish I could have.

Just found your Blog and really enjoyed reading it so far.... The lap band was almost non-exsistant when I had my Open RNY nine years again.

Mega Blessings,

Craig T