Friday, October 28, 2005

The Dreaded PB

Yesterday I had my first serious incident of the dreaded "productive burp" - i.e., PB. Like a fool, I returned to World Wrapps figuring I just needed to chew better and eat more slowly. Got the same exact thing I got seriously stuck on Monday. I guess I wanted to just see where my limits are, and how much restriction I really have...and boy, I know now! Ug. So, if you want to know what happened, in graphic detail - read on. If not, that's ok - just know this: it hurt, it sucked, it was awful, gross and painful...and hopefully, not to be repeated!

***Stop here if you'd just rather not know...***

So, here's my PB tale...basically, you feel like you've got something painfully stuck in your esophogus, toward your upper chest. Swallowing doesn't really help, though I tried a little water just to see (that works sometimes in pushing things through...) - but it didn't help. Then came the "sliming" - that is, your body starts pumping out tons of saliva (slime) in an effort to lubricate the food down (or up). So at this point, I went to the (public) bathroom and stood over the sink spitting for a while...delightful! And man, it was painful!

Then the fun really began - I made the switch to - god this is so embarrassing - kneeling in front of the public toilet to continue spitting up spit - followed by the pinnicle of this horrible event where I gagged about 3 times and had some stuff come up. Nothing solid actually, but it was different than the clear spit. Then, I finally felt like whatever it was must have passed through - phew! At this point I felt wiped out and was sweating! All told it was probably about 20 minutes start to end.

The good news is that you never feel sick - it's very mechanical, so I went and finished my food (sans tortilla) and headed to yoga. I believe wraps of any sort are officially OUT!

1 comment:

Liz G. said...

Howdy from Texas, fellow Bandster!

Isn't it funny how we convince ourselves that we can just chew it better next time? I usually give things the 3 Strikes and It's Out of my Diet rule (Diet not being the dirty four-letter word - but rather a makeup of the types of food I can now ingest.)

Love your blog - hope you are having as much fun with it as I am with mine. (The link is in my profile...)

Congrats on your weight loss thus far - you're doing great! I'm 11 months out now and 78 lbs down as of today...it's not a fast approach, but it's the only one I'd even consider - and would do it again tomorrow!