Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Rewarding Yourself

One of the things I've been doing a lot of lately is rewarding myself. I think it's hard to figure our how to do this when you're a fat girl inside - c'mon, we've always used food as a reward, right?!? But I think along the way I've done a good job of milestone rewards that have made me feel good & happy & proud of myself. Sometimes the reward is around a specific number on the scale, sometimes a timeline (I worked out 10 days in a row), and sometimes it's just a general "Hey, I rock. I'm doing this for myself." Here's some of what I've done at different stages:

- New haircut - change it up! don't be afraid - I've gotten as many compliments on my new hair as I have on my weight loss, I swear it!
- Clothes - this is a big one since you know you won't be wearing it for long...but still
- Accessories - shoes, bags, jewelry - things you won't shrink out of - a good $pend :)
- Spa appointments - I'm not too proud to drop a little $ at the spa and feel the love
- Mini-getaways - Go someplace new where you just get to be YOU and not "jenn who was fat before..."
- Breathers

Breathers? What's this? Well, this sort of maps to where I am right now so I thought I'd spend a moment on this one. Think about it: When you're charging to a long-term goal it's exhausting. Like running a marathon, there are these moments where you're flying along and others where you feel like you will topple over in 4 more paces. I think I'm feeling like I'm going to topple over in terms of driving so hard to lose weight. So, I am giving myself a breather! This is why I haven't posted in a while, have taken to walks around the lake rather than the gym, have relaxed my eating a little (not in a bad way, just not focusing on it so vigilantly).

Overall, I am sort of taking a little 'vacation' from my own personal weight-loss marathon.

For me, it's proven to be a good decision. I'd rather slow down a little than topple over completely, no? And it's allowing me to focus on some other things that matter a lot: my job, my writing and dating...these all require energy out of me too, and one only has so much gas in the tank. I feel fantastic where I'm at right now, and I have total faith that I will reach my goal in good time. I just think taking a few weeks off is a good pacing break. For me it is anyhow....so, I might post again tomorrow...or in a week...I'm stepping out of the drivers seat for a little bit is all and hopping on the bus instead; not as fast or direct, but it'll get me there.

7 comments:

Serena said...

You are so right. I need to get better at rewarding myself instead of beating myself up.

Serena

Jessica6903 said...

You deserve a break! Enjoy yourself :)

Jenn said...

We all must do what is right for ourselves, and while the effort to lose weight after WLS is a major part of anyone's life, there's nothing wrong with taking the major focus of your life off it ... especially for those of you who had lap band. ;) And, I bet taking a break from it all and then beginning again will kick start your weight loss again!

Sandi Hooper said...

I love it that you're so clear about needing a break and taking it. You are a real role model for me of someone who is out there really living. Good luck with the writing and dating.

And I love your recent photos too.

Anonymous said...

where are you? I miss your postings.....

Jill said...

I miss you....sniff...sniff...I hope you are doing well.

Terri said...

I can't tell you how grateful I am. I gained a lot of weight in the past few years (I used to be a personal trainer and skinny - now 220) but the one thing that's kept me out of the gym is I didn't have a clue where to find work out clothes. No kidding. Tonight I happened to see the link on your site and I'm so happy!!! You made my day! Congratulations too on your hard work and success.