Saturday, November 18, 2006

Normalizing

One my of pals is always like, "Why ya gotta be all "I got a lapband" the first minute people meet you?" At first I was like, "Well, it's a little all-consuming..." But over time, I started to wonder the same thing. Like, when do I just get to be ya know, a semi-normal person who eats small portions?

So, I met this girl.

The first time we went out, I got some nachos. They were huge. So my picking at them really went unnoticed because no normal person would've really dented them.

The second time we went out, we went to this *amazing* place called Baguette Box. They make this stunning baguette sandwiches. But c'mon, we all know most bandsters aren't chowing down baguettes! So, I get the red-wine braised pork, open'er up, and eat the innards (about 1/2) with a fork, grabbing a little of the wine-soaked bread along the way. So, she gets the skirt steak baguette and you can see where this is going....she was done with the whole thing, and I hardly looked like I'd eaten.

She said, "Oh man, I am such a pig! You're hardly started and I ate that whole thing!!"

I put down my fork and came clean. The last thing I'd ever want is a girl, who I'm kinda digging, to feel like she was a pig because of my lapband! She was very gracious, curious and was then like, "oh, ok, now I feel better!" It's just a funny thing, I guess, the whole thing.

By the way - we're on date #6 now! Could be it??? We'll see. One day (date) at a time...

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Isn't amazing how we, and our relationships with other people, evolve over the course of losing weight?! I hope things continue going well for you guys!

Donna said...

I contemplated a similar subject in my blog. I wondered if a time would come that I would be happy with just being me, and not that person who has lost a ton of weight using WLS.

Before that I was the fat chick who didn't let her fat hold her back; did I trade one role for another? Will I always feel like I owe an explanation to someone for my weight or the reasons I do what I do?

I don't think it's a bad thing to be open about whatever WLS procedure you've had done, as it's probably one of the most challenging things you've done in your life, and heck! you've got to be proud!!! I dont think people get that part of it, otherwise they wouldn't feel that you're "all like..."

Sorry... I'm 4 days post-op. It must be the meds. LOL

Good luck to you in your new found relationship! :)

Serena said...

That's excellent and I think that it is great that you are so honest.